The NTC facility offers nanofabrication capabilities to both internal Institute groups and external research groups and technology companies (national and international) that may require its capabilities. The principal goal of NTC strategic planning was to become a shared infrastructure and common platform because integrates an important part of the equipment mainly based on silicon technologies for wafers of 150mm and 200mm but can also operate with substrates of different materials and sizes on demand.
The available nanofabrication capabilities at the NTC can therefore address the small series (alpha and beta) that are needed by companies before developing large volumes manufacturing. The Nanofabrication cleanroom of the NTC covers an area of 500 m2 and has been certified by the TüV (German standards organization) to conform to classes ISO-4, ISO-5, ISO-6 and ISO-7 according to standard ISO-14644.
In addition to the specific micro – nanofabrication and characterization offer in silicon photonics, NTC proposes to offer comprehensive «onestop shop» service to public institutions and technology companies. These services provide the following:
- Help in the design of the nanostructure or device for given specifications.
- Micro – Nanofabrication of samples (rapid prototyping).
- Physical and optical characterization of the devices.
- Assembly and packaging devices.
- Performance characterization of the device in a system (digital transmission, radio, etc.)
- Optimization of design for manufacturing small series (alpha and beta series), prior to
- Manufacture in large volumes.
The NTC Integrated Clean Room includes equipment for micro and nanofabrication processes mainly based on silicon technologies for wafers of 150mm and 200mm but can also operate with substrates of different materials and sizes on demand. The available Processes, Techniques and Equipment are:
e-beam lithography equipment:
- JEOL 8100 system: Electron beam lithography system capable of working at 100KeV with pattern generator of 125 MHz. Minimal resolution 8 nm. Automatic loader up to 12 wafers (6 and 8 inches compatible).
- Raith system: 150Electron beam lithography system capable of working at 30KeV with pattern generator of 20 MHz. Minimal resolution 10 nm.
- VISTEC EPBG5000 system: Electron beam lithography system capable of working at 100KeV with pattern generator of 10 MHz. Minimal resolution 10 nm.
Optical and nanoimprint lithography equipment:
- SUSS Nanoimprint: NIL lithography system SÜSS M8BA8Gen4, allowing resolutions below 20 nm at wafer level. 8-inch wafer compatible.
- EVG system: EVG620 DUV Mask aligner system for 6 wafers
Auxiliary lithography equipment:
- Coater system: EVG101 Advanced Resist Processing System
- Wet processing: OPTIwet ST 30 for lift-off processing, stripping
- Developer system: Brewer CEE 100 – SPIN COAT & Hot Plate
Chemical Vapor Deposition (CVD) equipment:
- PECVD CENTURA system: CENTURA 5200_APPLIED. Deposition of Polysilicon and Dielectric Layers with precise refractive index control (SiO2, a-Si:H, Si3N4)
- PECVD P5000 system: The Applied Materials P5000 is a plasma enhanced chemical vapor deposition (PECVD) system designed to deposit doped and undoped silicon oxide thin films (SiO2, TEOS-based B&P doped glasses)
- CVD system: Black Magic CVD graphene system Pro 6 inch compatible.
Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD) equipment:
- Sputter system: Emitech Chromium Sputter K675X for metal layers
- PVD evaporation system: Pfeiffer Classic 500 Electron beam evaporation system
Dry Etching equipment:
- Dry etching system: RIE ICP CORIAL 210 IL system. It uses Fluorinated reactive gases for SiO2, Si3N4, Si and Deep Si etching. System up to 200 mm wafers. The machine can be used for hard materials (SiC, LiNbO3), metals (Al and Cr) and GaN etching with additional Chlorinated gas line and when equipped with a 1 KW RF source.
- Dry etching system: STS AOE multiplex system for SiO2, Si3N4, Si etching. 6 inch compatible. Gas panel: O2, CF4, SF6, C4F8, H2, He
- Dry etching system: Tepla PV 200 – Plasma O2
- Dry etching system: DIENER Nano-QL-PCCE7 for O2 plasma
Wet Etching equipment:
- Wet etching system: Vertical Laminar Flow – Nuaire system
- Wet etching system: WS 1000 Wet station – Laurell system
- Wet etching system: Spin Rinse and dry system – Sitek system
OPTICAL AND STRUCTURAL TEST EQUIPMENT
- Optical characterization:
- F20 Filmetrics
- Mikropak Reflectometer
- UVISEL Ellipsometer
- Sentech Elipsometer
- Polycon Reichert – Microscope
- Reichert JUNG Polyvar SC
- SEM 4500 scanning electron microscope.
- Fourier Transform Infrared (FTIR) Spectroscopy. Bruker Vertex 80 equipped with a silicon bolometer for THz measurements and a Bruker Hyperion 3000 microscope. ATR measurements available.
- Micro Raman / AFM System
- Terahertz Time Domain Spectroscopy (THz-TDS)
- Scanning Near Field Optical Microscope (SNOM)
Rafael Bueno Barbeyto - Group leader
Amadeu Griol Barres - Group leader
José Ángel Ayúcar Ruiz - Process engineer
Juan Hurtado Montañés - Process engineer
Laurent Christophe Bellieres - Process engineer
Todora Ivanova Angelova - Process engineer
Miroslavna Kovylina Zabyako - Process engineer
David Zurita Herranz - Process engineer
Alfredo Peñarrubia Blasco - Technical staff
Luis Collado Aranda - Technical staff
Cristina Villegas Martínez - Technical staff
Jose Luis Quintanilla Ruiz - Technical staff